Monday 18 January 2016

DIY Sock Cat Pictorial

Sock doll are quite easy to make when you have the time. I had been in Pinterest and saw plenty of different sock doll which some required both side of the sock to make a doll. Some even suggest recycling a sock to make into a sock doll. I am kind of pantang (refrain) about giving my toddler a recycle sock to play with when her daddy has Hong Kong Feet, LOL!

My version of sock cat




Therefore I went to Giant Supermarket and get a pair of new socks (cost around RM2 per pair) and turn one side into a sock cat, meaning a pair of socks can make 2 dolls! I too have balance of polyester fillings from Daiso (RM5.30) for some of my previous projects. So the doll eventually cost less than RM5! Plus, you don't need a sewing machine, just hand sew will do! (By the way, I do not own and don't know how to use a sewing machine, LOL)

This is a list of item used:

  • 1 side of a sock
  • 2 buttons (the eyes)
  • Polyester fillings
  • Needle and thread
  • (Optional, but I didn't include it) Bells, ribbons, bow, flowers 
So Let's start!


Step 1:

Turn the inside out of the sock.














Step 2:

Top: Cut half about 1.5cm (this will be the ears)
         Hand sew to seal the "ears"




Bottom: This will be the lower body, just cut a hole to enable to insert the polyester fillings.






Step 3:

Once the "ears" had been sew, turn over the socks to the right(outer) side. you will be able to see the cat ear shaped.





Step 4:

Fill in the polyester filling to your desired hardness/softness and the length of your cat.




Step 5:

Cut off about 4cm from the bottom. The cut off part will be the tail.



Step 6:

Hand sew the bottom with a "X" design.


Step 7:

Sewing of the tail, seal the side then add polyester fillings and then sew the end then pull the thread so it will crumble up like the photo beside.


Step 8:

Attached the tail by sewing at the back of the cat's body.



Step 9:

Sew on the eyes for the cat and CONGRATULATIONS! You had just made yourself a sock cat!!

Because Jelly will eventually put it in her mouth so I didn't add flowers, bows, or bells. You can do so to beautify your sock cat! Happy Trying!













In order to make my own sock cat, I had done some reference on Pinterest, but this is my own design. Feel free to make it and sell the final product but you are not allowed to sell my designs/instructions. If you want to share this instructions, kindly credit it back to me. Thank you.

Kindly share with me you own sock cat version! 

No comments:

Post a Comment