Wednesday 27 January 2016

Planting chia seed on sponge

It happened that I had soak a bottle of chia seed and left it in the fridge and I forgotten about it! After a week when I see my seeds, they had sprouted! OMG!

My Sprouted Chia Seed in a Bottle


Because I bought the Organic Chia Seed from Aeon Bukit Mertajam, and it is not cheap (one packet 168g for RM22), I don't want to waste it by throwing it away (btw, I didn't know yet if sprout can be eaten). Then as usual, I start to ask Mr Google... LOL. After Google-ing, results show that sprouted Chia can be eaten and it has more nutrients than the seed itself! Kindly ask Mr Google if you want to know more about Chia Sprouts.


Then next, I start searching how to plant chia seed. All mentioned it requires terra cotta pot. Since it's an accident that I sprout my seeds, I don't want to waste buying a pot. Instead I search for alternatives. Then result came up with sponge planting! Without wasting time I start looking for a container and soak a sponge and pour the sprouted chia seed on to it.

This is What I use:
- 1 piece of sponge filter for aquarium sponge
- 1 recycle cherry plastic container
- Chia seeds
- Water until the sponge level and not over the seeds (always topup when below sponge level)

Recycle container with aquarium filter sponge


Pour the seed on the sponge
Place it on the balcony and wait


Not sure if they will survive, but I will leave them at my balcony for a few days.

This is my result of sponge planting:

Day 1

Day 1
Not much difference



Day 2

Seedlings slightly sprouted even more

Day 3

Suddenly on day 3, they grow really fast!

Day 4

Day 4, more sprouts coming out!

Day 5

Day 5! all getting taller and taller and aiming for the sun!

What I going to do with them?

Day 5 sprouts... too less to be eaten.. lol!

Seems like sponge planting sprout rate is not 100% but they still sprouted. Happy Planting your chia seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment